Saturday, January 9, 2010

#1: Who Am I?

My name is Brittany Catron. I am a 20 year old College Park, GA native and currently a sophomore at UWG. I'm a English major, creative writing minor. I have a twin sister named Brechae'. Most people think we look exactly alike which is impossible considering we're fraternal. My ultimate goal for myself in life is to become a published author of teen/young adult fiction. I've always been very passionate about writing for as long as I can remember. I think the written word is one of the most powerful things on earth. It allows you to express yourself in ways that other mediums cannot. As lame or corny as it sounds, writing is my release. It literally sets me free. That's why I've entitled my blog "The Element of Freedom". Though I only became interested in poetry as a high school freshmen it quickly became something that I grew to love. Last semester I took and introductory Creative Writing course which was very eye opening. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about being in this class. Besides writing I'm also a very avid reader. One of my favorite things to do is to sit down with a good book when I can find the time. I just recently finished reading The Lovely Bones. (If you haven't read or heard of it yet I highly reccommend it!) I am a huge music lover. I'll listen to just about anything as long as it catches my ear. I also really enjoy playing and watching sports. My favorites are basketball, tennis, football and NASCAR (& yes it is a sport!). With all the being said I look foward to getting to know all of you and reading everyone's work this semester.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy the thought that you have put into your blog title and wholeheartedly agree! Although, I'm not sure I would call Nascar a sport, but I won't argue that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge Bulldogs fan! I do not know much about Nascar so I certainly would not argue with either of you on that. ;) I look forward to getting to know you as well Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is my release too, and I think just by reading your blog, I can feel how passionate you are about writing. Written language is a very powerful tool, and I am glad that you are using that tool for good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your ultimate goal is to become a publisher for young adult fiction. Because by using your passion to help other people, you are able to influence young adults to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that basketball and football are fun to watch. But I tried tennis last semester as part of my project and it was terrible. Now I can't watch other people play without flashing back to my epic failure. My family is really into NASCAR, but I just never got into it. I think it's cool that you're interested in sports in general, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I totally love the quote you have at the top of your page. I'm all about the quotes (hence the three on mine right now). We can learn best from other writers we admire, so why not publicly show that support?

    And I'm really interested in two things: You being a twin (that blows my mind. My aunts are identical twins and I find the connection between twins so interesting), and your pursuit towards young adult fiction... most people feel like they need to be 100% literary in order to matter, and I think that's 100% false. Any writing that inspires reading is good writing in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely see how writing is your release... Writing allows you open up yourself to a totally different world. Keep on writing cant wait to read one of your books one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you blog title. Writing can be used to release internal feeling and emotions. I like like to play and watch sports also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is wonderful that you know what you want to do with your skills, and it sounds like you have an abundance of them! By wanting to write books for teens, it seems that you are really willing to reach out :) I look forward to your work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you about writing being your release, it is the same way for me. i wish i had a twin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Using writing as a release is a good way to put it. For me I use it to get the things in my mind that confuse me the most out in the open and in plain sight so I can try to make sense of it. It is a way for me to make tangible the thougths that run through my head.

    ReplyDelete