Thursday, February 11, 2010

#14: Ipod on Shuffle (Critical)

I decided to take a twist on the suggestion by Professor Parks on using a poetry anthology. Instead I chose to randomly use titles of songs on my Ipod while I had it on shuffle and this is what I came up with:


Untitled

On a bad day I would take anyone but you
Like the caged bird I sing until my lungs are blue

Would you catch me like a raindrop on the tip of your tongue?
Like clockwork life changes and I come undone

Everything I’m not helps to fix this
But I can’t help feeling so reckless

Hanging by a moment with lying eyes
If you breathe in I’ll breathe out and won’t hear your cries

I hate that flesh bruises so easily
Consequences erupt and release me

If I kick and I scream just let me cry
I’ll leave my heart on standby

We fade because we clean ourselves after every individual use
I compromised my fate then tied this noose

Make damn sure nobody else wins
Pens and needles stab my chassis as I cringe

I’m immortal already as far as you can tell
I sacrificed my strength just be frail

It’s your job to save the weak
I’ve constantly been on your losing streak

Have you lost your nerve?
Say something to kill me

Or are you finding the words
Cause I haven’t changed it’s still me


I had fun doing this exercise. I’m always listening to music so it was cool being able to do that and get my work done at the same time. I changed some of the titles of the songs around like Professor Parks suggested. I started to notice a sort of theme coming together so that’s why I chose to go in the direction of writing about a relationship gone badly. I also chose to write it in couplets because I paused the music after every two songs in order to jot ideas down. I couldn’t really come up with a title but I liked what I came up with even though most people will probably hate the rhyme.

1 comment:

  1. Cool idea! I like it a lot and think the rhyme is appropriate, since most songs have a rhyme to them. Great write.

    ReplyDelete