Saturday, February 20, 2010

#19: Create A Form of Poetry (Critical)

This week we had to create our own form of poetry then swap with a classmate. I ended up getting Shan's Ridiculous poem structure. I had a good time with this form. It was interesting because of the length requirement. I came up with a lot of different possible poems but struggled because I was trying to include line breaks. I think line breaks can really make a poem shine but with this form I didn't end up liking the way what I was coming up with turned out. In my opinion, this form works better when lines are end stopped.

Ridiculous Poem Structure
Created by: Shan Brooks

Rules:
1) The poem must tell a story
2) Only one stanza
3) Six lines maximum
4) Must rhyme
5) Last line has to ask a question


The Big Day

He stood at the altar, beads of sweat forming on his brow.
She shuffled about ghostly in white down the aisle.
Every pair of eyes ping ponged from her to him, back and forth rapidly.
Leaning in he received her from her father who smiled happily.
Reality set in: one woman every day, for the rest of his natural life.
Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?

1 comment:

  1. I really thought that this was a great poem for this form! You utilized it so well, I just thought it was wonderful! It was also the perfect subject matter for this structure.

    ReplyDelete