Following up on the free entry I did last week I've decided to use each of these entries in order to highlight songs that I think are poetic in nature. This week I've decided to post Alexz Johnson's 2 AM. I really liked the imagery in this song and after reading the lyrics I think they would make a great poem or spoken word peice.
2 AM by Alexz Johnson
VERSE 1:
Snow falls on the city white on white
It's the color of hope on an unforgiving night
You kissed me into ruins, sin on sin
Now I've gotta love your love letters written on my skin
CHORUS:
I can't tell the stars from the downtown lights
If I said I was truly over you my heart would say amen
but I'd give in to the cold caress of 2 AM.
If I admit I can't get used to this will my heart break again?
As I fall into the waiting arms of 2 AM
VERSE 2:
Someone's scratchy music through the walls.
sirens weaving thru the streets
I must have missed your call
Gathering up these nights, black on black
I know your voice like it's my own
and it makes my heart go flat.
CHORUS (2xs):
I can’t tell the stars from the downtown lights
If I said I was truly over you my heart would say amen
but I give in to the cold caress of 2 AM
If I admit I can’t get used to this will my heart break again?
As I fall into the waiting arms of 2 AM
Of 2 AM
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is a really nicely written song. I see a lot of poetry in songs. I think it's really amazing, how similar song lyrics and poetry are. You could almost argue that they are in the same category, maybe?
ReplyDelete